short row wraps
Here’s how to wrap a stitch for short row shaping. This sample is worked in stockinette stitch with the knit side facing. The instructions can also be used when the purl side is facing.
See 8-12 below for instructions on how to knit a stitch together with its wrap.
1. (Below) Work up to the stitch to be wrapped.
2. Bring the yarn to the opposite side of the knitting (in this case, the front).
3. Slip the next stitch purlwise onto the right needle.
4.Take the yarn around the slipped stitch back to the other side of the knitting.
5. Slip the wrapped stitch back to the left needle.
6. Turn, so that the other side of the knitting is facing you. Work back along the row. You have now completed a “wrap”.
7. Shown below is a line of wrapped stitches with a needle pointing to a wrap which is visible at the base of the stitch. To knit these stitches, follow instructions 8-12 below.
8. (Below) Work to the wrapped stitch.
9. Insert the needle into the wrap, then the stitch.
10. Knit the stitch,but not the wrap.
11. Insert the left needle into the wrap and take it over and off the needle. This resembles a binding off.
12. Repeat this for all wrapped stitches. Shown is a row of wrapped stitches knitted together with their “wraps”. The wraps are no longer visible.